Job Title: Care Assistant
Accountable to: Care Manager / Care Co-ordinator
Location: Home-based locations in and around Braunton
Salary: Starting from £7.50 if no experience but goes up to £9.50 with experience.
Calculation of Annual leave and Sick Pay will be pro-rata according to hours.
- The Objective of Braunton Care Ltd is to support people (some of which have disabilities) and where possible, improve their independence whilst being able to remain in their own home.
The purpose of the Care Assistant is to provide care and support to people with disabilities, to enable them to continue living at home, to retain their independence and to live/lead their lives as fully as possible.
In order to perform well in this role, the jobholder will:
- Work as part of a team, to provide care and support for individual clients who have been assessed to receive a service from Braunton Care Ltd.
- Work flexibly in terms of the care of the terms of the care and support provided and the times when it is delivered.
- Predominantly work alone, taking responsibility for providing care and support.
- Take a proactive role in supporting the client to be independent, inside and outside their home.
- Acquire the skills, knowledge and training necessary to support individual needs, including those of a complex and specialist nature.
- Work within the scope and parameters of the client's care plan and risk assessment.
- Identify when and how to report matters of concern, including poor practice, which affects the safety and well being of clients.
The jobholder will work in a way which recognises the client's rights to:
- Quality of Life
- Freedom from Discrimination
- Involvement in Decision-Making
Responsibilities Specific to Braunton Care Ltd
- Assist Braunton Care Staff and officers to maintain good relationships with all collaborative agencies.
- Ensure that behaviour and attitudes remain professional and consistent with expectations of Braunton Care Ltd at all times.
- Ensure that work is consistent with all the policies and procedural guidelines of Braunton Care Ltd, with specific regard to Equal Opportunities and Health & safety.
- Attendance at training courses when required, including NVQ Level 2 (Health & Social Care)
- Attendance at staff meetings, regular support sessions, appraisals and any other identified relevant events.
Responsibilities Specific to Individual Clients
- Promote the wellbeing and development of clients through the provision of personal care and support.
Elements of personal care may include: Dressing/Undressing; Bathing/ Washing; Maintenance of personal hygiene; Management of continence; Use of continence aids; Managing or assisting with medication; Moving/handling; Mobility; Food preparation; Assistance with eating; Personal laundry; Domestic cleaning; Accessing the community;
Supporting with leisure; Educational and recreational activities.
There may be times when clients need to be supported by Home Carers in respect of more specialised tasks and complex needs. Braunton Care Ltd recognises that not all staff may be suitable to work with clients with complex or specialised medical needs or who present challenging behaviours. In such situations Braunton Care Ltd will ensure that only staffs that are suitably skilled and trained will be matched to those clients. Examples of specialised tasks may include: Palliative care; administering care, support to clients with challenging behaviours.
- Ensure that relevant information about clients is recorded, accurate, kept up to date and communicated effectively.
- Offer general advice to clients and know how to refer them to other parts of the organisation, pr to other agencies, as appropriate.
The nature of the work of Braunton Care Ltd means staffs are entrusted with personal and confidential information about clients they care and support.
Any breach of this position of trust will constitute and be dealt with as gross misconduct and can result in dismissal.
Duties will be subject to review and may be amended according to the needs of the developing service.